Annual Meeting 2020
Evolving Compensation and Market Mechanisms
December 7–9, 2020 (Virtual)
Meeting & Workshop Scope
In 2020, NCEP will explore the age-old utility question of “who pays?” with a new twist from grid modernization: “how?” The modern grid will allow for the exchange of more granular information on electricity use and supply across the distribution and transmission systems. State electricity policy decision-makers will explore:
- What is a state’s role in maintaining a well-managed, efficient electricity system, now with rapidly changing requirements and many more participants?
- How is value acknowledged and compensated among sellers, operators, and buyers? What risks are shared with customers?
- How can modern cost-benefit analysis, valuation approaches, and cost recovery plans be used to compare and optimize between bulk power system solutions and distribution system solutions?
- What capabilities exist and are needed for potential distribution-system level markets, and TSO & DSO coordination?
Session concepts include:
- Operational considerations for distribution-level markets
- Exploring optimization through benefit-cost analysis
- A future with customer-level markets
- Intersections of regional markets and state policies
- Balancing Grid Alternatives